About Us

History

1894 Founded as a cotton cloth wholesaler in Naka-ku, Nagoya under the name of "Hattori Kanesaburo Wholesale Store."
1912 Hattori & Co.,Ltd incorporated.
1914 Launched cotton cloth manufacturing (a new Sakurada factory constructed in Naka-ku, Nagoya).
1919 Started spinning at Atsuta Factory.
1939 Separated the spinning division (the present Kowabo Company, Ltd.) from the trading division to establish Kaneka Hattori & Co.,Ltd (the present Kowa Company, Ltd.).
1940 Company name changed to Hattori Co., Ltd.
1943 Company name changed to Kofuku Sangyo Co., Ltd.
1945 Branched out into the Industry and chemical field.
1946 Branched out into the optical equipment field; Gamagori Factory constructed.
1947 Branched out into the pharmaceutical field; Nagoya Factory constructed in Kita-ku, Nagoya.
1954 Head office moved to the present location.
Established Kowa Shinyaku Co., Ltd.
1960 Company name changed to Kowa Company, Ltd.
1964 Tokyo Research Laboratory (the present Tokyo New Drug Research Laboratories) opened.
Fuji Factory constructed (drug production).
1986 Kowa Europe GmbH established.
1989 Kowa Asia Ltd. established.
1995 Hamamatsu Factory (for manufacture of medical equipment) constructed.
1997 Kowa Research Institute, Inc. established.
1999 Kowa Research Europe, Ltd. established.
Through TOB, Nagoya Kanko Hotel Co., Ltd. became a subsidiary of Kowa Company, Ltd.
2003 Nikken Chemicals Co., Ltd. became a subsidiary of Kowa Company, Ltd. through acquisition of stock.
2006 Nikken Chemicals Co., Ltd. changed company name to Kowa Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd.
2008 Purchased ProEthic Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and changed its name to Kowa Pharmaceuticals America, Inc.
2010 Maruei Department Store Company Co., Ltd. became a subsidiary of Kowa Company, Ltd. through acquisition of stock.
2013 Nagoya Castle Co., Ltd became a subsidiary of Kowa Company, Ltd. through acquisition of stock.